Get Free Migration Consultation at Our Office. Book Your Appointment Today!
  • Home
  • Australian Parent Visa

Australian Parent Visa

Australian Parent Visa

An Australian parent visa is one of the various family visas available. The government on June 2, 2014 implemented significant modifications to other family visas. In general, there are two types of parent visa. While you are in Australia, you can apply for one visa, and once you leave the country, you can apply for the other.

If you are in Australia

  • Aged parent visas (Application for this visa is closed): Parents who meet the requirements for an Australian Age pension are eligible for these visas.
  • Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa (subclass 864): This visa is for parents of child or children living in Australia. It is a permanent visa for aged parents and costs more than the aged parent visa. However, the visa is processed faster.
  • Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884): The duration of this temporary visa is two years. You can apply for the permanent Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa (subclass 864) if you are holder of subclass 884 visa.
  • Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) visa (from subclass 884 to subclass 864): Applying for a permanent Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass864) is possible if you currently hold a temporary Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 884).

If you are outside Australia

  • Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 143): Parents living in Australia with children are granted this permanent visa. The processing time is quick however, this visa is more expensive than the Parent visa.
  • Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173): This is a two-year temporary visa for Australian parents with children living with them. You can apply for the subclass 143 permanent Contributory Parent visa.
  • Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa (from subclass 173 to subclass 143): If you are a holder of a temporary Contributory Parent visa (subclass 173), wanting to apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) this is for you.

The Australian Immigration Department is no longer accepting applications for the following visas:

  • Senior Parent Visa (Residence) (subclass 804)
  • Parental visa (subclass 103) for immigrants

Our knowledge and experience at Asia Pacific Group has helped thousands of clients in preparing their cases in compliance with the most recent immigration laws, increasing their chances of visa grant. With over 15 years of experience in the field, we have consistently delivered prompt and expert services. Get in touch with us if you need assistance with the necessary papers or are unsure about the best visa choices. Our migration experts will get back to you as soon as possible with the best solutions.

For any questions regarding Parent Visa, please reach out to us. Assisting you will be a pleasure for us.

Quick Contact Form

Do You Need Assistance?

If you have any questions or need assistance with immigration, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

FAQs About Parent Visa for Australia

Parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or qualifying citizens of New Zealand may reside in Australia either temporarily or permanently to be with their children under the terms of a parent visa.

Parents having children who are Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens are eligible to apply for a Parent Visa in Australia.

Parent visa subclasses include Contributory Parent Visa, Non-Contributory Parent Visa, Aged Parent Visa, and Parent (Temporary) Visa.

While the Non-Contributory Parent Visa has slower processing time, the Contributory Parent Visa has higher application fees. Less expensive yet taking longer to process is the Non-Contributory Parent Visa.

Parent Visa holders are not given work rights automatically. However, some Parent Visa subclasses can have limited work rights after certain conditions are satisfied.