Get Free Migration Consultation at Our Office. Book Your Appointment Today!
  • Home
  • Guardian Visa

Guardian Visa

Student Guardian Visa allows you to stay in Australia as the guardian of an international student younger than 18 years of age studying in Australia on a student visa. For this visa, you must be the student's parent, legal guardian or relative and must have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay.

Guardian Visa

Student Guardian Visa

In addition to this, you must be able to provide accommodation and other support to the student and be at least 21 years of age. Under a student guardian visa, one can stay in Australia for the same length of time as the student visa holder or until the student turns 18 years of age.

In general, this visa gets processed anywhere from 60 days to maximum of 4 months and costs AUD $560.


Obtaining a Guardian Visa – Subclass 590

It feels great to be there for your loved ones when they need your care and support. The Guardian Visa – Subclass 590 lets a person, parent or guardian reside in Australia for the purpose of providing care and support for a Student Visa holder studying in Australia. There can only be one Student Guardian Visa holder for a Student Visa holder. The Student Guardian Visa is temporary and is issued only in the following cases:

  • If the Student Visa holder is younger than 18 years needs care and support.
  • If for exceptional reasons, a Student Visa holder requires care and support.
  • If the student is an eligible Citizen of New Zealand.

Holder of Guardian Visa – Subclass 590 can:

  • Stay in Australia for as long as the student stays or up until the student turns 18 years of age.
  • Study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for less than 20 hours per week.
  • Study another course for up to three months.

This visa does not generally allow you to work.

Key Eligibility Requirements

  • A guardian must be 21 year old and should have custody of a student or should be in a relation with student. Besides one must have a written authority letter by custody holder of a student
  • Allow bringing family member only less than 6 year age except under certain circumstances and must meet the same health requirements as guardian.
  • Should be capable to afford accommodation, general welfare and other basic necessities of the student
  • Must meet the health and character requirements.
  • Not owe any money to the Australian government or have arranged to repay any money owed
  • Only stay in Australia temporarily
  • Must show evidence of financial capacity by submitting the evidence of funds.

At Asia Pacific Group, our global experts will ensure that everything is taken care of – right from your Visa application to paperwork – while you are looking forward to take care of your loved one(s).

Quick Contact Form

Do You Need Assistance?

If you have any questions or need assistance with immigration, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

FAQs About Guardian Visa

An Australian guardian visa allows a parent or legal guardian of students under 18 years old to come and look after them until they turn 18. The visa aims to support young international students in Australia.

No, with the student guardian visa (subclass 590) you are not allowed to work in Australia, rather it is for students’ parents to provide support and care during their study course.

You have to provide proof of being international student’s parent, legal custodian, or relative to be a guardian followed by proving your ability to provide welfare and accommodation throughout.

The cost of the guardian visa in Australia will depend on the complexity of your case. For more details, you can get in touch with our expert migration agents.

No, only one parent or guardian is allowed to apply for the guardian visa at any given time. The visa is only for a single guardian to take care and support the young student while they are in Australia.