Aged Parent Visa

This visa lets older parents live in Australia if their child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

The Aged Parent visa (subclass 804) lets older parents live permanently in Australia if they are the parents of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.Most applicants must be sponsored by their child.

Key Requirements

  • Balance of Family Test
  • Meet the age requirement
  • Are in Australia
  • Hold a temporary Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)
  • Are sponsor by a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen

Under this visa, the child should take complete responsibility for funding or sponsoring his or her parents. It also requires that the sponsor or child needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for a minimum of two years before the application is made. This subclass states that the sponsor/child should be in Australia during the application and while the verdict on the visa is out since it is for permanent residency.

When the Contributory Aged Parent Visa – Subclass 864 is granted to you and your family, you can avail the following benefits:

  • Reside in Australia for an indefinite duration
  • Work and study in Australia
  • You are eligible for Medicare – an Australian scheme for health care expenses.
  • You can apply for an Australian citizenship if you meet the eligibility requirements
  • You can sponsor your other family members or relatives in the near future for permanent residency.
  • You can travel to and from Australia for a period of five years from the time the VISA is granted, post which you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia.sss