5 Must do tips for International Students to have PR in Australia?

Every one today wants to go to Australia and for that, they keep on trying hard but many of them fail in doing so. Also, some who make their way to Australia also have to come back because they have not taken care of the further future plans for how to get PR in Australia. Following we have a small list of 10 most important and must do tips for international students studying in Australia to get Australia PR:

1- You Should know that how the SkillSelect Works:

Skilled Migration or General Skilled Migration is now an “invitation only” visa in which you must first receive an invitation to apply through the SkillSelect system.

SkillSelect has now become much more competitive in the number of occupations. There are now 8 “pro rata” occupations where there are much more EOIs lodged than there are available places. This means that the required points for an invitation will be higher or the waiting time will be longer. Even if you have 60 points in total, you may miss out altogether if you are in a pro-rata occupation.

SkillSelect has now become the most difficult part of the General Skilled Migration process. So, in order to maximise your chances, you need to choose the right occupation, and maximise your points without over-claiming.

2-    Try to improve your point score:

Now in competitive pro rata occupations, only 60 points are not enough for an invitation and improving your points score will definitely improve your chances of getting that invitation. The most important ways of doing it are:

  • By Improving your English score
  • By having Skilled Work Experience in Australia
  • By going through State Nomination
  • By choosing Further Studies
  • By opting for Professional Year

There are also other options such as:

  • Spouse Skills: This is only if you are married or have a de facto partner, they may be able to contribute points. However, in this, they would need to show competent English, pass the skill assessment and should be between 18-49 to contribute points.
  • NAATI Translator or Interpreter Test: This is only if you pass the NAATI translator or interpreter test, as this will give you another 5 points.

3-    Maximise your English Points:

English is the most important factor in the Skilled Migration Points Test. You can score up to 20 points for English and it is the only factor with which you have more ability to influence than any other.

Some important factors to keep in mind are:

  • There are a range of alternative tests of English – So, choose the test which you find easier than other
  • English tests are valid for 3 years. So, prepare well before appearing.
  • You need to get a minimum score in each band in a single sitting and this is much more difficult than getting an average band score.
  • Some skill assessing authorities have a higher level of English required, or they don’t accept all types of English tests and you will need to keep this in mind.

4-    Choosing the right occupation for Skills Assessment:

There is more than one skilled occupation which we can choose for skills assessment. Remember, once your application is lodged, you can’t change your nominated occupation, so choosing the right one is very critical. This can depend on:

  • Skills Assessment requirements – These may vary widely depending on your occupation.
  • Competitiveness of SkillSelect – Some occupations are more difficult than others when it comes to getting a SkillSelect invitation.
  • State Nomination Opportunities – Each state has its own state nomination list and its own criteria for choosing the nominees. Choosing the right occupation may open up a range of state nomination opportunities for the applicant.

5-    Get your bridging visa right

Bridging visas can be much more complex than you can imagine. So, getting it wrong can cost you a lot as you might become unlawful, subject to detention or removal from Australia. It can also affect your eligibility for PR and for Australian Citizenship as well.

Some common issues include:

  • Lodging just an Expression of Interest does not give you a bridging visa. You need to be invited and you have to lodge your application for General Skilled Migration to get a bridging visa, and this may take several months as well.
  • You have to lodge an application for a further visa prior to the expiry of your student visa if you intend to stay in Australia. If you are not ready to apply for PR, this could mean lodging a graduate temporary or visitor visa as well.
  • You will generally receive a bridging A visa when you lodge an onshore visa application but this ceases if you depart from Australia. You may also need to apply for a Bridging B visa if you wish to travel during processing.